Yellow Brigade Commander Jinxie G explains the reasons for her choices of essential Go Bag items…
Each Zombie Survival Crew brigade has specific items crew members should stock in their Go Bag so that when a geographical area goes into alert status and crew members meet at assigned gathering points there is a base supply of essential items. In addition to assigned gear, every individual should also add any items they want or need to have at the ready in the event of an emergency.
Go Bag Essentials:
- We think coffee is pretty self-explanatory. All that caffeine will be needed, especially if one has a night watch. And yes, there will be night watches because zombies are active at night.
- Twinkies are paramount simply because the movie Zombieland created the link for Jinxie, so now whenever she thinks about zombies, Twinkies come to mind and let the cravings begin.
- A first aid kit for those minor injuries because, let’s be honest, we don’t want the scent of blood traveling through the air, so bind those wounds, people! And don’t carry blood-stained clothing with you. Have we not learned anything from movies like Jurassic Park: Lost World and The Edge?
- Jinxie has a thing for knives. While she suggests butterfly knives because they are simple and easy to find, she prefers her daggers. Especially her Isis dagger. Just look at the jagged edges on that baby. What’s not to love about that?
- A whet stone in order to sharpen the blades is important to have on hand. It’d be kind of difficult to put a knife in something if it has a dull blade and won’t really have the effect one desires.
- While all nuts are a good source of protein, Jinxie prefers cashews above all others, especially if the honey roasted kind can be found.
- Jinxie absolutely hates having a dry mouth, so she always has candy on her of some sort, but she prefers Butterscotch discs, and we aren’t talking about that generic crap.
- Walkie talkies are essential, especially when having to scout city blocks. This way, crew members can cover two to three streets, yet still be within range of one another if needed.
- Everyone should have MREs in their Go Bags. They are simple planned meals that may or may not taste like crap, but hey, if our soldiers can live off these meals, so can we when the zombies strike. They can give us the nutrition and energy we will need during tough times.
- Since water will be somewhat limited, baby wipes can offer a quick cleansing because quite frankly, we don’t want to go back to the Dark Ages and have diseases like the Bubonic plague return. *briefly wonders if rat zombies are a possibility and shudders at the thought*
- Since there will no longer be clothing manufacturers, and we doubt anyone would want to attempt a shopping spree during the Zombiepocalypse—although Jinxie might be up for that with enough cover—a sewing kit is essential to any Go Bag for minor repairs of tears and such made during any fight with the horde. Also? It kind of works for stitches too, in case that’s missing from the first aid kit.
- Jinxie loves to cook, and to cook without spices is considered sacrilege to her Italian heritage, so all Yellow Brigade members should have some spices from their region within their Go Bags. Just because there’s a Zombiepocalypse, it doesn’t mean we can’t eat good food!
- Multi-vitamins and Super B-complex vitamins are essential because our diet will become limited once the Zombiepocalypse begins. Besides, those B vitamins give us energy! We’re going to need that to escape the horde.
- A teapot is needed for multiple reasons: to make coffee, to make tea, and to boil water for many purposes.
- We may need a frying pan in our Go Bags for cooking and the occasional handy-dandy weapon when none other can be found at our disposal. Besides, not all food can be cooked on a stick over a fire.
- And the most important item for every Go Bag is . . . No, Sean, it’s not rope . . . duct tape. This wonderful roll of beauty can do anything, be anything, fix damn near anything. And? It works very well in keeping our Commander-in-Chief out of trouble. *snorts* Quick! Hide the duct tape!