Each Zombie Survival Crew brigade has specific items crew members should stock in their Go Bag so that when a geographical area goes into alert status and crew members meet at assigned gathering points there is a base supply of essential items. In addition to assigned gear, every individual should also add any items they want or need to have at the ready in the event of an emergency.
Go Bag Essentials:
- Hand sanitizer – Healthy body, healthy mind, healthy spirit. That is what drives most of the choices in the Green Brigade Go Bag. And really, do you want to be eating with zombie-goo on your hands?
- Surgical mask – Depending on the nature of the virus that erupts, transmission may be as simple as a miniscule particle finding its way into your mouth. And with the other pollutants likely to be floating around a disaster scenario – such as rotting corpses or fuel depot fires – a little extra protection may go a long way.
- Dried fruit, nuts – Fighting off hordes of zombies and the physical exertion of basic survival will take a toll on the body. Combine this with what is likely to be a less-than-healthy diet for survivors, and a few well-chosen snacks will help maintain strength.
- Water bottle, water purification tablets – Hailing from the South where the summers are long and hot, I know first-hand the importance of remaining hydrated.
- Plastic bags for disposal – When normal sanitation and garbage collection systems go down, it won’t take long for a living situation to be overrun by germs…and bugs. Let’s just leave it there, shall we?
- Safety goggles – Smoke from fires, blood from walker kills or weather-related interference can cut visibility to almost nil. In any disaster situation visual intel is vital to survival.
- Flashlight – Reliable electricity supply is likely to be one of the first ‘comforts’ to disaster in a disaster situation but that shouldn’t mean you go without light. Solar-powered if you can find it, or consider packing extra batteries.
- Multi-purpose tool – A Swiss army knife-type tool is a must-have in any survival situation and can help meet food, shelter, defense and first aid needs. Need I say more?
- Duct tape – As with the multi-purpose tool, a roll of duct tape has potential uses almost too numerous to count. It’s value cannot possibly be overstated.