Once again the Zombie Survival Crew commanders are teaming together to bring you, loyal brigadiers, easy and delicious recipes you can fix on the run during the zombie apocalypse. The goal is to find a mix of food ideas that’ll keep you ready to fight your way to safety, even when supplies are running low.
This week we’re making Food. Yes, that’s what it is called, Food. In the Orange Brigade kitchen, Food refers to a single-pan dish with everything you find in the pantry that’ll taste good together. Typically, Food consists of potatoes, some sort of sturdy green vegetable, onions, and meat or cheese for a protein kick. Here’s the basics.
What You Need:
- 1 large cast iron skillet
- 1 tablespoon oil (Any kind. Butter will also work. You just need to keep the potatoes from sticking.)
- 1 pound potatoes, washed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- Garlic (fresh or powder), to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whatever other vegetables you have on hand – Corn, bell peppers, asparagus, leeks, cabbage, broccoli, etc. Chopped in bite-size pieces.
- Whatever meat is available – sausage, chicken, deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc. (No fish. It is too delicate to handle the cooking process.) Chop meat in bite-sized pieces.
- Cheese (optional)
How Do You Cook Food?
- Heat the cast iron pan over the fire, add oil.
- When the oil ripples, carefully toss in the potatoes and onions. Cook until the onions start to turn clear.
- Add in the meat. Cook until the outside edges of the meat are done.
- Add in the garlic and other vegetables. Cook, stirring to keep the potatoes from sticking, until vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Toss cheese on top and serve in a bowl.
It isn’t a glamorous meal. Heck, it doesn’t look particularly thrilling, either. But it is a great, easy way to get your vegetables and protein in. One pan will feed at least five people.